Sunday, April 5, 2009

a party for Vanda's aunts

Before I left Brazil, Vanda and I took a 300 km a bus ride to Ubá, where her parents live. I can't get over how green everything is in Brazil! California, Mexico and Peru were pretty dry places, and of course it was almost winter when I visited la Tabatatière. We were going there for a party for Vanda's aunts, so we took presents and some treats for the party. Remember those french fries and pizza you made for me? I took those to share with everyone.

First we nibbled on some delicious appetizers and everybody exchanged presents. To be honest, I got completely mixed up about who was related to who. I just know that Mirian is in the patchwork skirt, Marina is wearing the dark grey dress, and Renata in the sundress with spaghetti straps. Maria Helena is the lady in the beige blouse and the black trousers, and Amaziles is wearing the striped blouse.

Vanda makes a wonderful basil mousse, but I don't have a picture of that. I do have a picture of the dessert table (of course!). Look at all these yummy desserts! Chocolate and milk flan, coconut bavaroise roll and green corn cream. Doesn't it all look delicious?


Here are Maria Helena, Amaziles, Renata and I chatting at the table. What do Brazilian women talk about? The same grown-up things that our moms and grandmas and aunts talk about: how fast we're growing up, who's getting married, who's had a baby, who's moving, where their outfits came from, how good the food is ... you know. It's really kind of comforting that people have the same sort of conversations wherever they happen to live!
Once we went back to Belo Horizonte, it was time to say goodbye. I hated to say goodbye to Vanda! She was so kind to me, and I had so much fun staying with her. I wish I could have stayed longer in Brazil, because it's a huge country and there's still so much to see. Anyway, I gave Vanda a huge hug before climbing into my envelope with my passport. I'm going to miss her so much.

I wonder how I'll like Buenos Aires, Argentina?

No comments: