Saturday, April 4, 2009

Brazil Part 2 - the markets

I never got tired of going to the market with Vanda. They sell everything there! It's a bit like going to Walmart, with an important difference. In Walmart, one store sells everything in one place. In the market, there are all sorts of little stores, run by different people, selling everything in one place. It's so big and noisy that I was afraid of getting lost.
I got really scared in the hardware section. I was following Vanda down the aisle and she stopped to sneeze. When I looked up to say, "Bless you" I realized that it wasn't Vanda at all. I'd been following the wrong person! I was so scared, but when I looked back there was Vanda at the end of the aisle waving at me. Then I was just plain embarassed!

These candies and sweets were delicious. Let's see: dulce de leche, which is a kind of caramel cream; guava paste candy, coconut paste candy, chocolate cream, and figs in syrup. They gave me a little taste of each one so I could see what I liked best. To be honest, I couldn't make up my mind!








It was great getting to meet all these different dolls. Look at their hair! I wanted to dye mine green, like the boy I'm standing beside, but Vanda said I have to make sure that I always look like the photo in my passport. Oh, well, maybe I can colour it with magic marker when I get home!







One of the things I loved about Belo Horizonte was all the different kinds of cheese. I mean, in Mallorytown you can buy cheddar, parmesan, feta, cream cheese, cheese sticks, and that's about it. But just look at this cheese booth! They had hard cheese, soft cheese, ripe cheese, orange cheese, white cheese, gold cheese .... I had no idea there was so much cheese in the world.

And as I already said, you could buy anything here. Look at the tiny pots and pans for a dollhouse. They had the most beautiful flowers around the corner, too; I had fun playing hide and seek among them. I forgot to bring my basket to the market, but my new overalls have really deep pockets for my change.
I wish that you could all have come with me; we could have had a terrific time playing hide and seek here! On second thought, that may not be the best idea ... we'd probably have all gotten lost.
love,
Sally

No comments: